Saturday, April 9, 2011

Shopping On A Tight Budget

When it comes to shopping, you don’t necessarily have to pay the big bucks to look good. It is possible to shop and buy stylish clothes without breaking the bank. Here’s what you do:

1. Get online or look through magazines for the latest styles of the season. Take note and make a list of a few clothing essentials that you want to purchase. 

2. First, try shopping at thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Plato’s Closest. Yes, these are second-hand clothing stores, but you can find some nice clothes (that are in style) for really cheap. You may have to take a little more time to hunt for clothes you like, but it'll be worth it in the end when you find out how much money you saved.

3. Also, try shopping at off-price stores like TJ Max, Marshalls, and Ross. You can find name-brand clothing and accessories for great prices. These types of stores purchase overstock clothing from big brand-name stores and then sell them for half-price. It’s a great deal.

4. Buy only what you need or really, really want. If you think you won’t be interested in an item of clothing two weeks down the road, don’t bother buying it. It’s smart to stop and really evaluate what you’re about to buy so that you don't waste your money.

5. Set a price limit for yourself and don’t go over it. Before you walk into a store set a limit for how much you will spend… like $40 for example. If you set a limit it can actually be easier when choosing clothing to buy because you’ll know what you can and cannot afford.

6. Also, for those of you who may be embarrassed to tell people that you shop at thrift stores, here’s what you can do: look at the label on the item of clothing and find out what store it originally came from. When people ask you where you got your shirt, you can say, “It came from Express”, and you won’t necessarily be lying J

Happy shopping!

5 comments:

  1. You make some great points here! We all want to wear the latest fashions but that can be pricey. I shop at forever 21 and H&M which are really affordable. Also, when I for internships I went to goodwill and other thrift stores for suits and just got them tailored to fit me, this was MUCH cheaper than buying a brand new suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I'm a notorious impulsive buyer, so these tips would definitely help me out! I will be using the set a limit before you walk in the door tip.
    Amanda also makes a good point, I shop at Forever 21 and H&M also, which have really great deals and the clothes are still awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shopping tips! I love shopping and sometimes it can get pricey. I have never been opposed to shopping at TJ Max and often times if I search long enough I can find a great pair of designer jeans. The key to shopping at stores such as TJ Max and Marshall is you have to SEARCH. The good clothes do not just fall in your lap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the good tips--they will definitely come to good use for me this summer. I'm such a shopoholic, and I need to cut back because my summer internship is unpaid, so I will definitely keep these in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice. I shop at a great consignment store called Revolver off glenwood. It sells all designer items for minimal price. Shopping online is hard when sizing and shipping and handling become an issue.

    ReplyDelete